Friday, October 16, 2009

The Power Of Storytelling, Parable and Simplicity, An Economist Viewpoint

"There is also a deeper point: A simple story is not the same as a simplistic one. Even our little parable reveals possibilities that no amount of investigative reporting could uncover. It suggests, in particular, that what might seem to a naive commentator like a natural conclusion - if productivity growth in the steel industry reduces the number of jobs for steelworkers, then productivity growth in the economy as a whole reduces employment in the economy as a whole - may well involve a crucial fallacy of composition"

Paul Krugman, in The Accidental Theorist, 1997

Norse Storytelling in a Viking Longhouse.
This photo is published on my blog with the authorisation of Gary Waidson (© Gary Waidson 2009) and here is a link to the web site it was created for: http://www.lore-and-saga.co.uk

3 comments:

Gary Waidson said...

I have just discovered that you are using one of my pictures (above) without permission or credit.

I would like an explanation of why you think it is acceptable to steal my work?

Ludovic, Founder and CEO OutdoorInAsia, OIA Learning Hub said...

Dear Gary
Re your comment on my blog http://oialearninghub.blogspot.com/2009/10/power-of-storytelling-parable-and.html

1- Pls accept my apologies if you are offended at my using your picture
2- If you think - and I won't argue with you - that I have been stealing your picture, I will immediately remove it. to show my good intentions I accepted to publish your comment which is publicly shaming me for what you call stealing.... So i take responsibility
3- I wish to congratulate that you picture among millions others seem so attractive and special that it landed on my blog.... not that my blog is this great but the subject of story telling is beautiful and very special to us and your picture was chosen to convey what we like about it... so you must be a special artist. besides if in some way you are making a living out of these pictures, then I guess it is upsetting that people use or misuse them....
3- Though it may not make a big difference for you, I wish I would not steal people property so tell me how do you propose to correct this wrong.
a- as mentioned I can remove the picture
b- what about mentioning the author and creating a link to your website? (which is usually the way we do - if you notice on the blog for any material we find on the web.
c- any other message / id?

Do let me know how we can change this negative situation into something better: can we create a win/win? I mean this sincerly as I see the web as a co-creative information sharing tool and I have to agree with you that rules exist and do apply.

I thank you for furthering my education on this matter and taking the pain to address my lack of civility and respect for your online rights.

Ludo

Gary Waidson said...

Thank you for acknowledging the problem.

Pictures found on the internet are all created by and belong to somebody. Using them without obtaining permission is a breach of international copyright law and is, in effect, theft.

In this instance I will allow you to continue using my image in return for a note of origin ( © Gary Waidson 2009 )and a link to the web site it was created for ( www.lore-and-saga.co.uk ).

Thank you for your swift attention to this issue.

Followers